Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"The Gammy Blanket"

This afternoon Pearson protested in the loudest, whiniest voice, "I'm not tired!" I am sure my friends with preschoolers can hear that voice in your head (at least I hope my child is not the only one who is known to use this high pitched whiny voice)! Only to be wrapped up and sound asleep only 5 minutes later looking like this:

Completely, peacefully asleep! What was the difference you ask? The Gammy Blanket.

This is a treasured object in our home. This blanket was made for us out of Brian's mom, also known as Gammy, shirts. This blanket has a special place in all of hearts. I feel as though once you are under this blanket you can feel her love and embrace almost as if she herself is wrapping you in her love and you can rest. It is truly Brian's favorite blanket and when he is at work during the day Pearson has been know to borrow it. Literally today when Pearson protested resting I offered the Gammy blanket to him and within minutes he was asleep.

I am so grateful for this and other precious objects to remember this amazing woman by.  Here is a picture of the blanket that we treasure. I remember when she wore each shirt in our blanket. Each of Brian's brothers were given a blanket as a precious gift with shirts that were special between them. Two of the shirts in our blanket were shirts that we had given to Carol Ann.



I even very fondly remember when she bought and wore this shirt that she got in Colorado. 
 
Oh how I wished my boys could have known her! I do pray that her legacy and memory live on always in our hearts and home. We talk about her daily and how much she loved them and the Lord! And while I know she is dancing with Jesus, I do miss her dearly. I am so thankful for the gift she gave me in my precious husband. She will forever be in our hearts!

1 comment:

mstalcup said...

Yes, I think I heard that voice earlier today as well.

Love the Grammy blankie - so very sweet!